The Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction is the UK's premier prize for non-fiction books.
This year’s longlist was announced on Thursday 9 October.
The six titles on this year’s shortlist are:
• John Campbell, Roy Jenkins, Jonathan Cape
• Marion Coutts, The Iceberg: A Memoir, Atlantic
• Greg Grandin, The Empire of Necessity, Oneworld
• Alison Light, Common People, Fig Tree
• Helen Macdonald, H is for Hawk, Jonathan Cape
• Caroline Moorehead, Village of Secrets: Defying the Nazis in Vichy France, Chatto & Windus
The winner will be announced on Tuesday 4 November.
Submissions for the 2014 prize are now closed.